Monday, November 16, 2009

How have marketers have researched you as a consumer?

Concerning marketing research, In different ways, direct mail, email campaigns, and by phone. The only ones I respond to are on paper, and only if I can verify they are legit.





In general, marketing firms reach people every day from every direction to sell every product out there. TV, Internet, mail, newspaper, catalogs, magazines, radio, billboards, etc.





The things that really work best to get me to respond are very personalized direct mailings. Not the credit card offers, but a referral program from a local business that another customer said I might be interested in their product. Or direct mail pieces from a phone company that offers landline, DSL, TV and cellphone in one package. Or coupons from places I regularly shop at, like Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Or the very occasional phone call by a real american person from Jackson and Perkins roses to tell me about a sale on one of my favorite products. For things I am considering, like home improvement projects, magazine ads or TV ads on a home improvement show usually sell me. For bridal or baby registry for a friend, the absolute best way I love to shop is by getting an email saying my friend is registered, and I can get free shipping or free giftwrap if I order online. Computer stuff, TV commercials and friends recommendations. For groceries, coupons and weekly sale flyers draw me to a store.





The LEAST effective and MOST ANNOYING are flash banner ads on the internet. I will never click on those things, and usually turn the page off if it has a lot of them. I also hate telemarketers that aren't from a company that I usually deal with. Especially if they do not speak clearly in the language of the area they are calling. A southerner should call another southerner. A midwestern person could call just about anyone. Spanish speaking callers should call spanish speaking countries or areas.





Nearly everything in our home was bought thanks to marketing people getting the information out in a way that reached us. From brand recognition on appliances and computers, to my home office products from Staples, to the cars in our garages and the types of food we buy, its all thanks to a smart marketing person figuring out how best to reach a childless, pet friendly, middle class American married couple in their 40's.

How have marketers have researched you as a consumer?
Online polls


Face to face interviews

canine teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment