Thursday, November 19, 2009

Consumer Psychology Careers?

Hello,





I applied at various colleges for a major in Psychology. I've been researching various distros of psych and that includes consumer psychology. In my mind, I dont see much of a use for them - and would think they get paid horrible. I looked online for career examples but did not really find any other then general things like "marketing".





Does anyone know of a example careers in consumer psychology?





Thanks

Consumer Psychology Careers?
i dont know anything about consumer psychology, but i graduated from UCSD with a BA in psychology and is still jobless. I personally dont think psychology majors get paid a lot, unless you continue your education and get your phD (so you could be a professor, psychologist,etc) or something in psychology. If you do decide to stick with this major, make sure you intern within your related field...in the end, its all about experience. Good luck.
Reply:So let me ask you this, why are you studying Psychology? Do you like to work with people, help people in some way, like the aspects of a discipline that is social related?





I was in your shoes when I didn't know what to study and since I liked aspects of jobs involving people, I chose Psych. I was good at giving advice and at 20 years old successfully counseled my girlfriend's parents on how to communicate better with her. Anyway, I thought I wanted to be a marriage family counciler. I got a degree in general Psych.





I found out later that I would have to do a 2 year paid internship and then start out at $23k a year. No way. I went into PR, sales, then marketing, then got into recruiting, then started my own import/export business, then a coffee broker in Africa, then back to corporate recruiting.





So, the moral of this story is that while I see your intent on picking a professional route in Psych, it doesn't really matter what specific direction it is, if you enjoy people, are good with relationships and have a good intuition, then it doesn't matter. All corporate jobs involve people, working with them, collaborating with them, managing them, selling to them, etc.





If you are good with people, then Psych will give you the method of building a career. It won't matter what specific direction you choose, you'll be successful in any people related jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment