Monday, November 16, 2009

Any suggestions on what I should do?

I need suggestions and opinions about my career path. I have a variety of skills and interests and just need a few suggestions on where and what path you think I should take.





Right now I have a bachelors of general studies from the University of Connecticut and 1 years experience in consumer relations, research, event planning, sales, and about 2 years experience in Public Relations and Media relations. Now, I LOVE speaking with people but I do NOT want to go into sales. I love giving advice and researching. I also love teaching, but as of now don't have the money to go to grad school.





Any suggestions on what type of jobs would consider hiring me or what types of jobs someone with my experience normally look for?





I am in a bind- I am not sure what path to take right now...

Any suggestions on what I should do?
The first thing I noticed was your degree in general studies. You went through four years of college without declaring a major and now you can't decide on a career. You have no specific training or skills either. At some point, you have to decide on some goals and objectives and I hope that time has come. Otherwise, you've wasted a lot of time and money on a college education.





If you like working with people and like teaching, then I would suggest several options.





How about becoming a financial planner? Do some research to find out what further training you would have to have, but I don't think it requires further college. Selling insurance is another option. How about real estate?





I would also suggest you try to get into marketing and public relations. Any decent-sized company would have a need for someone like this. I worked at a hospital that had a marketing/PR person and she reported directly to the CEO.





Have you considered law school? I know you said you don't have the money for it, but your educational background is a good one for law school.





I did notice that your written communication skills are pretty good. How about technical writing? You need to be organized and methodic, but it's basically cookbook writing.





I hate to say it, but sales really does sound right for you. Perhaps you need to find a product that you believe in so that you have some enthusiasm when making your sales presentations. Abbott Laboratories hires people with your background and then teaches them the technical aspects of the products they sell.





You might also talk to a career counselor at your college and see if they can give you some advice. Ditto for employment agencies.





Good luck to you.

teeth grinding guard

No comments:

Post a Comment